Monday 8 August 2011

64th Street: A Detective Story (1991, Jaleco)


There are so many good things about this promo flyer. From the DOGOOOON! onomatopoeia to how a pencil-pushing researcher can be nothing more than a judo thug.

One of the little things I really liked was how his name is Rick.  Just Rick.  It's the late 1930s at the start of World War II, and he has already decided to inspire future generations like Cher, Madonna, KeDOLLARSIGNha, and others. I would hazard that he inspires these descendants with his fists and throwing techniques, given the above image.

This promo showcases one of the files he's currently on.



Rick, PRIVATE DETECTIVE
3, OCT, 1939 file no. 238
The kidnapping of a rich man's Daughter.

7:22 a.m.
My head's pounding from the double whiskeys I knocked back at Shamus' Bar last night; a relative term considering it was only two hours ago when the sun creeped into my bloodshot eyes. Today looks to be a rough one. Heat's in the high 90s, and there's already sweat glistening on the icebox.
There was an envelope slipped under the door when I stumbled into the office. It crinkled under my heel with a satisfying sound like a cricket caught in a fan. Inside was a typed note saying how Mr. Avery was in need of my services to find his daughter, whom he suspected had been kidnapped. The letters h and v were misplaced slightly on the note, which had a trace scent of lavender on it.
7:46 a.m.
I went to Castle's Eats for some greasy spoon, trying to unclog my liver and clear my head. Best joe in town.
8:12 a.m.
Bought mouthwash to help look presentable for Mr. Avery. I spat it in an alleyway when I was blindsided by a palooka wearing a work shirt and jeans, but loafers surprisingly. I threw him into a concrete area of the wall that was brickless. As I heard his spine skip a beat with a dull thud, I couldn't help but notice a giant leg of turkey on the ground below us.
There wasn't a garbage can in sight. No restaurants for a block or so. Squatters lived in these parts mostly, and their bathroom windows had bars on them.
By my best guess, this bird would have had to have been an emu.
It made for a great bludgeoning weapon against Loafers.

Beat the bad guys and throw them into the wall!!


Rick and Allen's Detective Agency is on 64th St. They have specialized maneuvers to beat the enemy. When you are in trouble... call on a partner to join the game and assist you. A great new action game from Jaleco.

Maybe Allen is making the DOGOOOON! sound from out of frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment